I usually don't make New Year's Resolutions (NYRs). To me, they seem to fall in the same category as echinacea and leggings under a short shirt: it might work for some people, but are really not my thing. However, this blog is testamnt to the fact that if I say something outloud then I darn well better do it so that people will stop hassligng me about the fact I haven't done it yet. So here is a list of NYR-ish Type Thingies:
- In the Knitting Category: Learn to knit socks. I mean, really...just do it already, right? I have the right needles (thanks GNP!), the right yarn (thanks, coworker MJ!), and the right skills (seriously, if I can knit lace I can knit socks...right?!?!). Just gotta do it. (also see: what the heck is the Kitchener Stitch?!?!)
- In the Haven't-Been-Out-of-the-Country-in-Four-Years-and-This-Won't-Even-Actually-Break-That-Streak Category: Go to Puerto Rico. I've always wanted to go (the reason being that I have always wanted to see a coqui frog in person) and just need to get my act together, get over my fear of planning a trip, and do it. Puerto Rico is solidly NOT outside of the US (no, no freedom for this little island yet, folks), but the Spanish-speaking nature of the place almost makes it count, yea?
- In the Healthy-Things-that-Some-People-Seem-to-Like-Doing-Category: At the risk of sounding way too cliche even for a NYR, I really need to run slash do ANY amount of exercise. I am not even going to kid myself and say how far I want to run but going to the gym more than once a month might actually make my membership worth it....
- Get into grad school. Sooooo far beyond my control. Just thought if all you law schools out there knew that I put it on my list you might show some pity and accept me at your school (no, Baylor Law...you don't count. Despite your six glossy, non-recyclable mailings a week, I still choose NOT to apply to your school. Stop being so clingy...).
- Knit a sweater...obviously....I am pretty sure that this whole blog is about knitting a sweater from scratch and getting my doula certification. Go ahead and put those down on my to-do list.
- I would like to ski. I no longer have a ski coat or ski pants apparently (over Christmas I used my mom's, friend's former foreign exchange student's snowboarding gear...yea...) so that might make it tough, but if I go on a REALLY sunny day and try REALLY hard not to fall, I might be ok, right?
- I would also really like to write a knitting pattern and sell it, preferably to someone other than a certain former roommie who doesn't knit, but who would totally create a fake paypal account and buy a pattern under an assumed name just to make me feel good about myself....yes, lady, I'm on to you and your wily ways.